Friday, September 26, 2008

Corrective Lenses

I Corinthians 2:6-11 6We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. 7No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. 8None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him"[b]— 10but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 11For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him?

As I continue my journey through the aging process I have noticed my eyesight has deteriorated at a more rapid pace the past couple of years. I spend more time looking through the lower part of my eye glasses than I do the uppers. Vision trouble just seems to be part of the natural aging process. I’m reminded of the Apostle Paul’s seemingly random insertion of “See what large letters I use as I write to you with my own hand!” in
Galatians. So we can assume that even the great visionary of the New Testament apparently had trouble with his eyesight.

So how is your vision? I’m not referring to the natural eyesight but the one the Father placed in your spirit so many years ago? Is the dream still alive? Has it been diminished by compromise? Have you “outgrown” your child-like faith that once allowed for the truth that “with God all things are possible”?

Jesus said, “Everything is possible for him who believes.” Mark 9:23

I know many a brother and sister that once had a vision and somewhere along the way it faded into “reality.” The idea that it must not have been God’s will crept in from the enemy and sucked the hope out along with the faith and energy to tend that garden. Just like Adam and Eve, many have eaten the fruit of “knowledge” instead of Life. Common sense told them they were being unrealistic.

Can I speak some “home on the range” truth here? The lie of being “realistic” is just bullshit. It’s the fertilizer that feeds the tree of “knowledge” and allows it to grow and crowd out the Tree of Life. Some of you have told yourself you are too old to start now. Some of you have told yourself that the obstacles are too great, be it geography, finances, or other resources. Some of you have forgotten our God reigns.






" 'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams”. Acts 2:17
This speaks of two types of men - young and old. Young men are idealistic full of energy and naïve enough to believe “it could happen.” I often wonder if the old men here are dreaming dreams about what might have been. I don’t think that is the totality of truth in that passage, but I think it could apply.


No longer having the energy for the pursuit of their passion they slumber and let those thoughts float “sleepishly” with regret. (Sleepish = Timism contraction of sheepish and sleepy) May I encourage each of you to never accept the premise of “unqualified” or “unworthy”? If the Father gave His most precious resource as an offering for our redemption, then there is no other resource that He would withhold from us to see His purposes fulfilled in our lives.


The impetus for this blog came from surfing Valencia Hills on YouTube. I was so encouraged by this Pastor’s obedience to shepherd the vision God gave him for their community. If Jehovah Jireh can take
4 lepers and feed a city, he can take us to places beyond what we can imagine.

Ephesians 3:14-20 14For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15from whom his whole family[
a] in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. 20Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.



No comments: